Ok, it’s already week 3 and I’m a bit struggled as usual. (Anyone has posted week 3 stuff? ) Anyway, I somehow managed to be able to show these…
Hey hey hey… It’s WURMMMMMM Albert. Not sure what that was about, but this is about my progress thus far. So let’s get to it, shall we? Basically I started with the skeleton of my “deep south” devil figure. I have opted for him to be seated, as if contemplating his destiny or some horse shit like that. I have created a trident that he will be holding. We shall see how this goes. My wife said, “you always do something mean…” and I corrected her in saying “not mean, just evil. Evil imagery is kinda my thang” heh heh. Can’t help what comes out, right?
Man oh man! Week 2 snuck up on me! I have not gotten very far on this at all, but the important part is that I do have progress to show and I’m not skipping days like some people **coughandrewcough**, ahem, excuse me, allergy season.
I started by trying to figure out what the Mexican Sheriff was going to look like…I’m not overly thrilled with any of the drawings I have done (seen below are the laughable “best” two thus far). I need to try and get back into this soon before I fall behind. I should just draw Danny Trejo instead and call it a day :)
I felt it was time to introduce a villain. With our word this month being South I thought an officer from the Confederate Army was fitting. But the thumbnails just weren’t flowing well. They all felt static. I was having trouble finding something to get excited about. So, I decided to get a fresh start in Photoshop and begin again the way I would if it was something that had to be done in a hurry. Black and white, pushing shapes around until something starts to feel right. The image below on the left is the first thing to have that “right” feeling so I started to refine from there. I liked how the brim of his hat hid his face, making him more mysterious but with the front of his uniform so obscured by his right arm I felt it would be smarter to switch to a more recognizably civil war era hat.
I’m so glad that medieval is over! Now it’s South! South….southern…southern food… food?! Hmmm.. food sounds good. I love food. Well let’s see if I can do something about it.
Ok here is my sketch thumbnail for week 1. This card is entitled “The Mexican Sheriff”. Stay tuned for more!
Well here we are. Just a bit late but alas, it is done. I am not as pleased with the final of this month’s card as I was last month, but hey… there’s always next month, and the month after, and so on, and so forth.
Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Let the Medieval cards continue to pour in!
Well February is almost over, and for this glorious month of Groundhogs, Love, Presidential Birthdays, & Black History, I decided to honor them all by creating a fictional movie poster that depicts Robin Hood getting ready to confront a Sasquatch!
I hope you enjoy it, and I will see you next week with preliminaries for March, the theme is SOUTH!
There’s my final above. You can get a larger view if you click on the image. I know you could scroll through the blog and see the whole process… but I thought it’d be nice to collect it into one gif.
Yes, i was lazy this week. Therefore, not much progress and not much to report. I know, I know it’s due next week so I’ll put some extra effort this week to make it up. You shut up.
There is so much to report this week I don’t even know where to start. I began making a hand.I put the hand onto the figure and it pretty much ruined the details I had been fleshing out. Ah well.One more week to go. This is really progressing well (and by well I mean slow). Did up another arm. We’ll see how this pans out.
Week 3 begins the process in Adobe Illustrator. Not a whole lot to report here, it’s just a matter of getting things finished.
One change to make note of, the Sasquatch is now going to be more of a silhouette instead of a fully realized character in order to further push the emphasize on Robin Hood.
See you next week for the FINAL!
Not a whole lot to report this week. I started with the 3D render from last week, switched it to grayscale and started painting right over the top in Photoshop. Some people like to paint completely in grayscale and then add all the color right at the end with an assortment of layer styles. I prefer to get the color started a lot sooner.
Something I’ve been wrestling with on this picture is what all these giant shapes should be made of. Initially it was all over the board but I think I’ve settled on silver, bronze, glass, and stone. By grounding the image with a few recognizable materials I’m hoping to create a greater sense of realism and age.
Let’s get right to it. I am definitely going with the aquatic type theme. For the medieval aspect I am aiming to create a creature that is in-between evolution stages… not quite fish, not quite another creature. So here are the progress shots for this week.
Started with the fish tail shape. Added the fish tail to a used maquette base.
Began shaping the torso and shoulders. Added arm skeleton.
Chest and belly clay cover added. Added the head, extended tail and started arms.
See you next week for more progress. Word.